Hello All! Welcome to the SWE Region G blog as run by your FY 14 Region Collegiate Communications Editor (RCCE)! Region G is the Ohio Valley Region, which contains sections from Kentucky, Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
My name is Ruth Williams, and I am the Region Collegiate Communications Editor (RCCE) for Region G in FY14. I am a junior mechanical and aerospace engineering major at West Virginia University, where I am also the treasurer of our SWE section.
Please browse some of our useful permanent pages, as well as some of our popular categories, and don’t forget to subscribe so you never miss any important posts!
The Region G Twitter account is up and running! The account is @SWE_Region G if you want to follow it. My plan for it is to share information and posts from the blog and interact with members, similar to the Facebook page. I’m hoping this will be a fun way to facilitate communication about SWE and things going on in the region.
If anyone wants to be involved with this, email me at email@example.com. Right now, the Twitter account is a little biased toward WVU SWE, because that’s where I go to school so I already know what’s going on here! I really want to get people involved from other parts of the region to share what’s going on with other sections. I know other sections do some really cool stuff, and I want to share that!
Region G RCCE
WVU SWE is excited to announce that they are the 2014 Student Organization of the Year at West Virginia University! Out of a pool of over 300 student orgs, three finalists were selected and invited to speak at a Student Government Association meeting on March 26. Each group was given a chance to talk about their activities and involvement and fielded questions from the SGA governors. After SWE, the Sing Dance Club, and the Chinese Students and Scholars Association were given a chance to speak, the governors voted and SWE was selected as the winner! Congrats to WVU SWE and the other finalists!
Region G RCCE
- Name: Virginia Mae Brandt
- Company and position: Energizer Holdings, Inc. / General Manager, RD&E
- What is your current SWE position and what do you do? Region G Treasurer FY13-14 I keep the financial files in order, prepare the budget for Regional Council approval, update the council on the Region’s financial status monthly, dispense funds as approved, file the annual reports and tax forms, and work on financial policies and procedures for the Region, such as the recently updated and approved Travel Policy.
- Involvement with SWE (years, positions, etc): I joined SWE in college. I left SWE after completing my Engineering degree. I rejoined SWE 7 years ago when a colleague from work invited me to join. I really wish I hadn’t missed out on the years in between! Positions that I have held include: Activity chair at the University of Missouri-Columbia collegiate section, VP, President and Representative for the Northeastern Ohio Professional Section, Awards and Recognition Committee Chair and Treasurer for Ohio Valley Region G.
- Favorite thing about SWE: SWE Members are the most interesting people. Everyone has a story to share that is inspiring to me.
- Any advice for an aspiring engineer? Believe in yourself and you will do great things.
- What do you like to do outside of SWE? My other passion is bicycling. I enjoy touring and camping.