The SWE Board of Directors (BOD) has completed a pilot from FY06 to FY11 for a collegiate board representative position. The collegiate board representative was an invited guest of the president on the board. It was recommended that this become a permanent position and the Senate voted to change the bylaws to include a collegiate director on the SWE BOD at WE10. The collegiate director serves as a liaison to collegiate leaders, contributes collegiate knowledge and interests, and performs any other duties assigned by the president, the BOD, or Society governing documents. The collegiate must meet all the requirements and complete the review/selection process. Funding for travel reimbursement is available.
The FY13 BOD orientation and FY12 BOD 4 meeting are on June 22-23 in Chicago, IL. Applicants should plan on attending these meetings if selected for this role.
Eligibility & Requirements
The Collegiate Director should demonstrate strong leadership, initiative, a working knowledge of SWE, and good communication skills. In order to ensure a qualified collegiate is appointed to the SWE BOD, the following set of requirements must be fulfilled.
- Must be a current collegiate member or first-year professional member.
- Must have been a collegiate member of the Society for the immediately previous year.
- Be in good standing with their university and minimum GPA >/= 2.50 on a 4.0 scale
- Served in at least two of the following positions for at least a year each:
- SWE Society Committee/Task Force Member or Chair
- Region Collegiate Representative (RCR),
- Region Collegiate Communications Editor (RCCE),
- Region Collegiate Senator,
- SWE Collegiate Section President, OR
- Other SWE position with significant responsibility (e.g. region conference chair (this assignment may not be a full year), region committee chair, etc)
- Attended at least one annual and one regional conference.
- Submitted an application form & three letters of recommendation (1 each) from the following:
- Collegiate section leader
- SWE professional member
- Faculty member or work supervisor
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Serves as a liaison to collegiate leaders including RCRs
- Contributes collegiate knowledge and interests during BOD meetings
- Assist RCRs in their duties
- Assist committee chairs with collegiate on committee selection process – “due diligence” & review quarterly reports to ensure collegiate recruiting on committees
- Any other duties assigned by the President, the BOD, or Society governing documents
An application will need to be submitted by each applicant to email@example.com . The deadline to submit an application is March 11, 2012. In addition to the application, the following should be submitted:
- An unofficial transcript proving good standing with your university
- Three letters of recommendation
- A photo (headshot at 300 dpi resolution) in a .jpg file
SWE Headquarters will be responsible for collecting the applications and verifying that the requirements have been met. Headquarters will provide all applications meeting the minimum requirements to a selection committee identified by the President-Elect. All applicants will be notified by May 15, 2012 of the results of the selection process.